If you’re anything like me you probably love to talk about the tools that you use to do your work every day. This page serves as a living document of the things I use every day.
👨💻 Desktop apps
I use a lot of apps throughout the day but these are the ones I use the most.
- Chrome: still my primary browser but I’m always looking for something else because why not?
- iTerm2: I work in the terminal 80% of the time, why not pick the best terminal app?
- VS Code: I replaced Atom with VS Code recently and couldn’t be happier. It’s fast, has a bunch of cool plug-ins and gets new features on a regular basis.
- Vim: whenever I need to do some quick edits I usually pick Vim.
- Amphetamine: I use my laptop like a desktop, so nothing should ever sleep. This handy tool prevents that.
- Docker: I try and run as much of the tools that I use on the command-line in containers for obvious reasons.
- SSHuttle: forwards my network traffic over a secure SSH tunnel.
- AWS CLI: I use the AWS CLI for all sorts of work, mostly because I don’t like clicking around in the web UI all the time.
- Tweetbot: not sure if it’s still the best Twitter desktop client, but it’s what I’m used to and it syncs nicely with my iOS devices.
- Things: the only todo app that actually looks good on Mac and iOS.
- 1Password: 1Password really is a life saver. I couldn’t possibly live without it.
- Slack: work related stuff goes here.
- Reflex: prevents macOS from hijacking the media keys.
- MacDown: I’m a heavy user of MarkDown and the split view feature is a life saver.
In terms of hardware I try to maintain a fairly simple setup. I don’t have too much stuff because otherwise everything gets outdated really quickly.
- LG 27UK850: a beautiful 27 inch 4K screen that also supports HDR content and includes a USB-C connection that will also charge my 2018 MacBook Pro.
- MacBook Pro 15” (2015): this is a laptop from work. It has an Intel i7, 16GB of RAM and a dedicated graphics card and that’s more power than I’ll ever need. It’s like having a very thin, good looking, supercomputer that I can carry with me.
- MacBook Pro 15” (2018): this is our family computer, with some overkill specs like a 6-core i7, 16GB of RAM, 512GB of storage and a Radeon Pro 650X. This machine is used for gaming, side-projects, and everything else not related to work.
- iPhone 7 128GB: this is the best phone I’ve ever had. The matte black finish is gorgeous and I never run out of space.
- Magic Mouse 2: it’s not the best mouse in terms of ergonomics but it’s easy to carry around. I switch from the trackpad to the Magic Mouse regularly in order to prevent RSI.
- Magic Keyboard: this might be controversial but I honestly think this is the greatest keyboard ever produced.
- AirPods: I never knew I needed AirPods until I actually bought them. They are truly magical in that they sound nice, the user experience is awesome, and they aren’t as ugly as I thought they would. AirPods feel like they shouldn’t exist but they do.
- Apple Watch Series 3: this is another one of those “I didn’t know I needed it until I tried” products. My Apple Watch is now an important part of my life, keeping me healthy by daily reminders to stand/walk more and drink more water.
- Sonos Beam and Sonos One: Music around the house, speaks for itself. I do however always want to buy more Sonos stuff.